St. Stephen's School and Children’s Centre is situated in the E6 district and lies between the Upton Park and East Ham area. It is part of a hard federation where the Headteacher leads the Primary School, Nursery School and Children’s Centre, including Day Care.
- 94% of our pupils' first language is not English
- 38 languages are represented within our school community
- 11% of pupils are entitled to receive free school meals
- 11% pupils with SEN support
- 0.2 deprivation indicator which places us in the top 40th percentile
- 17% Pupil premium
The school was built in 1951 and has 21 classrooms. We are a two-form entry mixed school, expanding to 3 form entry with a maintained maximum of 630 pupils aged between 5 and 11 by 2020. We also offer wraparound care for working parents. The Nursery offers thirty 30hour places and 60 FTE 15 hour places and 8, 2 year old places. The Best Start in Life (BSiL) Children’s Centre provides a range of services to the local community, including fee paying Day Care provision. This service for working parents is available 8am -6pm, for 48 weeks a year. In addition, a midwifery group practice and a range of services for young children and their parents are on-site.
The school vision encapsulates everything we do, what we believe in and forms our ethos and mantra that every child can and will.
Every St Stephen’s child blossoms into a confident, respectful, modern British citizen prepared to be an aspirational contributor in the global community.
The school serves a community that is both rich and varied in culture and religious backgrounds. The multicultural nature of the school provides a greatly enriched environment and the school places value on the extensive language experiences our children bring to school with them.
The effective, hardworking, intelligent staff delivers an outstanding curriculum. This is coupled with excellent standards of care, guidance and support and a high-quality learning environment to support all learners equitably. We achieve above national expectations at the end of each key stage through the delivery of rigorous teaching and learning, through a cascaded curriculum. The school upholds an ethos of high expectations, which provides children with challenging opportunities, where children acquire skills, knowledge and confidence that can be applied to all future learning experiences. These opportunities encourage respect, self-belief, academic excellence and prepare our pupils for the next stage of their education.
The school has a robust programme of the highest quality CPD opportunities including moderation and joint self-evaluation. Six members of staff work closely with other schools both in Newham and beyond in their role as Specialist Leaders of Education (SLE).
- St Stephen’s awarded ‘State Primary School Of The Year’ by the Sunday Times, November 2017
- St Stephen’s KS2 results placed the school as the highest performing school in Newham.
- In September 2017 St Stephen’s became the first Level 2 UNICEF Rights Respecting School in Newham.
- St Stephen’s came in the top 5% of schools nationally in the phonics screening tests
- In November 2015 the top 200 state primary schools were published in the Sunday Times and St Stephen’s came 46th in England.
St Stephen’s received outstanding OFSTED outcomes across the federation. Most recently, the Primary and the Children’s Centre in Summer 2011, the Nursery in May 2014 and Daycare in August 2015.